This Xfinity Mobile review has been updated for 2024. Long-time readers may be quite surprised to find this Xfinity Mobile Review on this site. But, I’ve tested their service and wanted to do a deep dive to share with readers, from the perspective of an actual real Xfinity Mobile user. We’ll dig in to Xfinity Mobile’s network, plans, phone selection, pros, cons, promotions, and much more in this review.
Here are a few things to note about this review:
- I’ve previously and extensively reviewed the cheapest data plans, cheapest prepaid plans, and cheapest mobile WiFi hotspot plans on the market, and I’ve come to the conclusion that, at this moment, Xfinity Mobile is one of best value mobile plans on the market – and can potentially save readers money.
- If you are also an Xfinity Internet and/or Cable TV customer, you can save even more money by bundling services (more on that below).
- Despite my prior grievances with Xfinity Mobile’s parent company, Comcast, I have been an actual Xfinity Mobile user – and have used Xfinity Mobile extensively.
So let’s jump right in. Here’s what you’ll find in this Xfinity Mobile review:
What is Xfinity Mobile?
Xfinity Mobile is a relatively newer mobile cellular service from ISP/Cable TV conglomerate, Comcast Xfinity. The service somewhat quietly launched to customers in May of 2017, and went live in all Xfinity residential markets in August of that year.
In addition to 5G and nation-wide 4G LTE coverage (on Verizon’s network), Xfinity Mobile also boasts 20 million+ WiFi hotspots, and flexible low-cost plans.
Can I Get Xfinity Mobile? Xfinity Mobile Availability Map
In order to become an Xfinity Mobile customer, you must first be a residential Xfinity Internet service customer, residing within Xfinity’s market map. If you’re unsure about Xfinity availability, you can check if Xfinity internet service is available in your area. If it is, and you’re an Internet service customer, you are eligible to get Xfinity Mobile.
What Network Does Xfinity Mobile Use?
Xfinity Mobile is a “mobile virtual network operator”, or MVNO. As an MVNO, Xfinity Mobile doesn’t own its own wireless spectrum, it buys wholesale priced access from one of the 3 big wireless spectrum owners in the United States. Specifically, Xfinity Mobile runs on Verizon’s Network. Making a call? You’re calling on Verizon’s network. Texting? Verizon’s network. Using mobile data? Verizon’s network. With Xfinity Mobile, you are getting all of the touted benefits of Verizon’s network (at a fraction of Verizon’s prices).
Xfinity Mobile Coverage Map
Xfinity Mobile, by virtue of running on Verizon’s Network, has access to 5G in available locations and the largest 4G LTE network in the US. Verizon touts that it covers 327 million people (5G now covers over 230 million people), 99% of the country’s population, and more square miles than any other network. Here is an interactive Verizon coverage map so you can visualize the Xfinity Mobile coverage map. If you’d like to specifically check your zip code for Xfinity Mobile 4G/5G and Wi-Fi hotspot coverage, you can do so here.
Xfinity WiFi Hotspot Map
In addition to offering up Verizon’s Network for prices that are much cheaper than Verizon (more on that in a bit), one unique Xfinity Mobile feature that distinguishes it from its competition is that it offers users 20+ million WiFi hotspots to tap into for free. Xfinity makes this possible through using modems it leases to customers as WiFi hotspots. Clever.
Tapping into hotspots while out to a coffee shop, restaurant, bar, hotel, etc. can allow you to keep your mobile data usage to a minimum (if you’re able to find a hotspot to connect to). Here is an Xfinity WiFi hotspot map or you can use the Xfinity WiFi hotspot app (iPhone, Android), which can be used offline.
Xfinity Mobile Plans & Prices
Xfinity Mobile plan costs are low and flexible. Certainly lower than any of the big 3 carriers, but lower than even most of the cheapest of bare-bones MVNOs (who often have close to zero customer service and no WiFi hotspots).
For starters, all customers get:
- Unlimited nationwide talk and text, at no added charge
- 5G speeds (where available on Verizon’s network) and 4G LTE data elsewhere
- Free access to millions of WiFi hotspots
Additionally, Xfinity Mobile offers international roaming coverage (detailed below).
Beyond talk, text, & WiFi – if needed, you have a choice of data plan options:
Xfinity “By the Gig” Data Plans
Features 3 data options & data can be shared on up to 10 lines, and high resolution video streaming:
- 1GB: $15/month
- 3GB: $30/month
- 10GB: $60/month
Xfinity “Unlimited Intro” Data Plan
Features 20GB of high speed data per line, unlimited mobile hotspot data at 600kbps, standard 480p LTE video streaming:
- 1 line: $45/month
- 2-4 lines: $30/month per line
- 5-10 lines: +$20/month per line
Speeds are reduced after 20GB of data use.
Xfinity “Unlimited Plus” Data Plan
Features 30GB of high speed data per line, 5GB of mobile hotspot data at 5G/4G high speeds, high resolution 720p LTE video streaming:
- 1 line: $55/month
- 2-4 lines: $40/month per line
- 5-10 lines: +$30/month per line
Speeds are reduced after 30GB of data use.
Xfinity “Unlimited Premium” Data Plan
Features 50GB of high speed data per line, 15GB of mobile hotspot data at high priority speeds, high resolution 720p LTE video streaming:
- 1 line: $65/month
- 2-4 lines: $50/month per line
- 5-10 lines: +$40/month per line
Speeds are reduced after 50GB of data use.
On the unlimited plans, after the high speed monthly data use allotment is used, speeds are reduced, determined and applied on a per line basis. There is no “rollover” data.
You can switch from “by the gig” to an “unlimited” plan within the same month or from “unlimited” to “by the gig” at the start of the next billing cycle. You can find lower price per GB data plans out there, but you typically have to pay for talk and text with those plans, which would wipe out the benefit.
How Does Xfinity Mobile’s Prices Compare to Verizon?
Compared to Xfinity Mobile, Verizon offers the following prices for the same network:
Verizon Monthly Prepaid:
- 15 GB: $45/month to start
- “Unlimited” data (with 5GB mobile hotspot): $60/month to start
- “Unlimited Plus” data (with 25GB mobile hotspot): $70/month
Bundling Xfinity Mobile with Other Xfinity Services for Better Prices
Xfinity also frequently has deals that allow you to bundle Xfinity Mobile with Xfinity TV and Internet, lowering the combined total prices of those services. If you live with an Xfinity Internet/TV supported area, bundling Xfinity Mobile with those services will almost always offer you the lowest total versus buying from separate providers. You can find current Xfinity bundle offers here if you’re interested in bundling services. Adding Xfinity Mobile to a bundle usually results in the best deals, often with some nice incentives.
Does Xfinity Mobile Have International Roaming?
Xfinity Mobile has international rate plan options for those traveling abroad.
You can add a “Global Travel Pass” to any line and pay a flat rate for calls, texts, and data for $10/day per line in 170+ covered countries, or $5/day per line in Mexico and Canada only. Global Travel Pass includes 512 MB of LTE data per pass per day, then data is available at 2G speeds. Data used while abroad will count toward your By the Gig or Unlimited data option. “Pay as you go” is also available.
Data used counts towards both By the Gig or Unlimited data options.
Does Xfinity Mobile Have Contracts or Penalties?
No. There are no contracts with Xfinity Mobile. You can leave at any time, if you’re not happy, without penalty or early termination fee. However, you may have to pay off the remaining balance on your phone and plans (which seems fair).
Can you Use Xfinity Mobile as a Personal Hotspot?
Yes – you can use Xfinity Mobile data to create a personal WiFi hotspot. According to Xfinity Mobile:
Your Xfinity Mobile phone is more than just a phone. It’s also a personal hotspot, which can be super convenient when you need to connect a computer to the internet and you don’t have WiFi. Your phone enables you to get online via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable — on your laptop, tablet, or any other device — by using your cellular data to create an internet connection.
How your data option affects personal hotspots
- If you have the Unlimited Intro data option, speeds on any connected device will not exceed 600 Kbps.
- With the Unlimited Plus data option:
- The first 5GB of personal hotspot usage will be at the maximum speed available (based on your device’s capabilities and network capacity).
- After 5GB of hotspot use, your hotspot speeds will be 600 Kbps for the rest of your billing cycle.
- With the Unlimited Premium data option, the first 15GB of personal hotspot usage will be at the maximum speed available.
- This is based on your device’s capabilities and network capacity.
- With By the Gig data, personal hotspot speeds aren’t automatically limited.
If you Cancel Xfinity Internet Service, Can you Keep Using Xfinity Mobile?
Yes, you can keep using Xfinity Mobile if you cancel Xfinity Internet. A $25 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet, or Voice service.
Xfinity Mobile Phone Selection
Xfinity Mobile has a solid offering of mobile devices (mostly on the higher end and a few budget offerings), including both both iOS and Android OS devices. You can either buy the phone outright or spread out the cost of the phone over 24 months (at 0% APR).
Currently, Xfinity Mobile offers devices from the following manufacturers:
- Apple: iPhone
- Google: Nexus
- Motorola: Moto G, Razr
- Samsung: Galaxy
Xfinity Mobile BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
You can bring your own device (BYOD) when you switch to Xfinity Mobile (iPhone 6 and later for iPhones, Google Pixel, and Samsung Galaxy S8 or later for Android). You can check Xfinity Mobile device compatibility here.
If you bring your own device, there are no added fees, and you can get a free SIM card. And yes, you can still access the WiFi hotspots. Xfinity even offers promotions for BYOD occasionally.
Xfinity Mobile Pros:
There are a number of Xfinity Mobile pros:
- Pricing: the pricing is fair, honest, and cheap.
- Flexibility: there is flexibility to switch plans.
- Network Reliability/Speed: Verizon’s network paired with millions of WiFi hotspots is as good as it gets.
- Risk-Free: 14-day money-back guarantee and no contracts.
- Phone Selection: a good selection of phone choices from Apple, Google, Motorola, and Samsung. You can get 0% APR financing on phones if you can’t afford to buy outright (at the same total price). Plus, you can BYOD without added fees.
- Strong Reviews from Customers: Xfinity Mobile was recently rated #1 value/most recommended compared to all full-service MVNOs in the 2022 American Customer Satisfaction Index survey of customers rating their own wireless service provider’s performance.
Xfinity Mobile Cons:
I alluded to this earlier, but any Xfinity Mobile review on my behalf would not be complete without addressing the elephant in the room: my previous beefs with Xfinity TV and Internet pricing. I’ve written many articles over the years on topics such as how to get rid of your Xfinity modem rental fee, how to replace an Xfinity modem with your own, how to negotiate with Xfinity, how to cut your Xfinity bill, and so on, to help readers save money.
I do see the broader company making serious efforts to improve its customer service and experience with Xfinity Mobile and elsewhere. For example:
- With Cable/Internet pricing, they have started offering existing customers extended contracts at prices previously only accessible to new customers (having to quibble over pricing and continual increases has long been a complaint of mine and others).
- Their customer service reps do seem much more accommodating in recent years, which is a reflection of company policy.
- Their revamped Xfinity stores are much closer to an Apple store than the DMV these days (I recently visited one and was shocked).
I looked long and hard for gotchas with Xfinity Mobile. I wouldn’t say these are “gotchas”, but are common cons for “unlimited” plans across the industry these days:
- after monthly data use, speeds are reduced, determined and applied on a per line basis
- Video streams up to 480p, standard-definition quality (20GB plan) (though HD streaming is available on Xfinity Wifi).
- On any connected device, mobile hotspot speeds will not exceed 600 kbps (Unlimited Intro plan).
- When they added 5G service, they increased their lowest price from $12 to $15, but this was likely the result of a new contract with Verizon.
Xfinity Mobile Promos and Discounts
Xfinity Mobile frequently runs promos and discounts. You can find a list of Xfinity Mobile promotions and discounts here.
They have been offering rotation promotions such as the following:
- Up to $400 off some of the new iPhones, Google Pixel, and Samsung Galaxy phones
- Up to $700 off with trade-in
- $100 if you bring your own device
Additionally, I’d recommend checking for Xfinity bundle offers here for bundled plan discounts with Xfinity Mobile included. Xfinity wants to grow their mobile user base, so they often offer nice discounts when you add Xfinity Mobile to other Xfinity services.
Our Xfinity Mobile Review Summary
If you live within an Xfinity covered area, Xfinity Mobile is a high-value prepaid mobile offering, and it’s an even better deal for those who can bundle with Xfinity TV and/or Internet. I really appreciate:
- the free unlimited nationwide talk & text on Verizon’s network
- 5G access and strong internet performance and speed
- the ability to share data, with up to 10 lines on “By the Gig” plans
- the option of multiple data plans, and flexibility to switch
- the ability to bring your own device (BYOD)
- the extensive Wi-Fi hotspot network to help keep data costs low
- the clear, fair, and transparent pricing
- no contracts
As with any mobile plan, just make sure the plan option you choose aligns with your usage habits so that you can get the best value and have enough data.
You can get a discount on an Xfinity Mobile phone or bring over your own device here and existing Xfinity customers can check for Xfinity bundle offers.
Xfinity Mobile Review
Xfinity Mobile is a very strong prepaid mobile offering for Xfinity internet customers. They use Verizon’s strong network, but charge less than Verizon, and have flexible pricing options and month-to-month switching capabilities. There are no contracts, and no line fees (unless you drop internet service). While the phone offering was a little weak in the beginning, it has improved tremendously, and now includes Android, iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, and BYOD options.
I’m also impressed with the new phone offers that Xfinity offers for new lines. And if you spread it across multiple months, there is a 0% APR.
Whether you want an unlimited plan, or you want a bare bones unlimited talk/text/minimal data plan ($15/talk/text/1 GB), Xfinity Mobile’s pricing is about as good as it gets.
Check out the latest Xfinity Mobile offers here.