How to Send Text Messages (SMS) Via Email for Free
This may not be news for a lot of people, but I just discovered that you can send text messages via email to most major cellular providers. This tip is stellar in that it is part stupid frugal trick (save money on texting from your cell phone by emailing for free), part productivity (you can probably type faster from a normal QWERTY keyboard than a phone), and part tech geek. You get the three-fer on this one! Here’s how to do it.
How to Send a Text Message (SMS) Via Email:
- AT&T: email@example.com
- Qwest: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sprint: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virgin Mobile: email@example.com
- Nextel: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alltel: email@example.com
- Metro PCS: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Powertel: email@example.com
- Boost Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suncom: email@example.com
- Tracfone: firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Cellular: email@example.com
Making the Most of Texting from Email:
To take this to the next level from a productivity standpoint, I’d recommend creating ‘contacts’ within your email account so that you aren’t constantly looking up all of those cell numbers that you don’t have memorized each time you send an email.
How to Add Cell Numbers for Text Messaging in Gmail Contacts:
In the following example, I’m going to add my mom’s cell to my gmail contacts. Let’s say that her phone provider is Verizon and her number is (555)123-4567. A should be able to set up contacts through most email programs (if you can’t, switch to gmail).
1. Click on ‘contacts’:
2. Now, add a new contact:
3. Put in ‘name’ and the word ‘cell’ to clarify between email and cell contacts:
4. When composing a new text message, simply type in your contact’s name:
Texting through Email Topics
- What text message productivity tips have you found to be useful?
- Have you figured out any other ways to save on text messages?
- Are there any providers I’ve missed?
- Net10 Prepaid Cell Phone Review
- Tracfone Review
- 8 Personal Finance Spring Cleaning Ninja Moves!
- Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk