how to invest


career, food, travel


saving, credit, debt


insurance, security


401K, IRA, FI, Retire

Home » Taxes

20SomethingFinance 2010 Tax Guide

Last updated by on 9 Comments

It’s about that time to hunker down and start thinking about your 2010 taxes. It won’t hurt, I promise. I’ve written a lot of tax related articles over the years, and thought I would put together a little guide to help you get started with some of the basics.

If I included every piece of tax information that I’ve written, it would be a mini book, so I’ll link to where  you can read more if it’s something you’re interested in. Keep in mind that I am not a tax professional, so don’t rely on me as one. Serious questions require a tax professional, or at least a good copy of Turbotax or H&R Block.

When can I Start Filing my 2010 Taxes?

You’re free to start anytime, as long as you have your W2’s, 1099’s, and any other tax related forms that you expect to be sent to you. I personally wait until the end of February to start because some financial institutions are slow in getting their 1099’s out.

2010 tax guide

When can I Submit my 2010 Tax Return?

Right now, but make sure you have all of your forms so that it is complete. There are some notable exceptions to this rule in the 2010 tax cycle, caused by the Obama tax cuts, which were retroactive. This has led to a tax filing delay for some:

  • Taxpayers who itemize tax deductions. This is because schedule A needs to be re-worked.
  • Those claiming the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction – which is claimed on IRS form 8917.
  • Those claiming the Educator Expense Deduction, which is given to K-12 teachers who use money out of pocket to pay for educational materials.

The tax filing delayed start date for these filers is now February 14 (Valentines Day). These filers can start their taxes now, they just need to wait until the 14th to submit.

What is the 2010 Tax Filing Deadline?

Another interesting quirk this year. The tax filing deadline is almost always April 15th, unless it falls on a weekend or a Holiday (in which case it’s pushed to the following Monday). Well, the 15th is a Holiday in Washington DC this year, so the deadline is pushed to the 18th.

A common misconception around the tax filing deadline is what it actually is. Is it the day your return has to be received by the IRS? No. It’s actually the day you have to have your return to the IRS postmarked or submitted electronically. So do one or the other by April 18, 2011!

What if I need a Filing Extension?

You need to file an extension for your 2010 taxes is the same April 18th deadline, and it buys you a a six month extension to October 15, 2011. This doesn’t mean you can simply get away with not paying your taxes for 6 months, you have to submit your estimated taxes due (if you owe) by April 18th, and then submit your paperwork by October 15th. But you might as well just get it done, if you are able. Get that weight off your shoulders!

What Can I Still do to Impact my 2010 Tax Return?

It’s not too late to still have an impact on your 2010 taxes, believe it or not. One of the biggest ways that you can lower what you owe or get a bigger return is through contributing to a traditional IRA, Keogh, or SEP IRA (check out the 2010 maximum IRA contribution limits and Traditional IRA income phaseout limits for deductions). You can contribute and have it count towards the 2010 tax year up until the tax deadline, which will lower your overall adjusted gross income (AGI).

If you’re income is low enough, you might even qualify for the retirement savings contribution credit.

Itemizing your deductions may help too. If you are self-employed, have a home or mortgage, or have a lot of out-of-pocket medical expenses, you may have a good shot at saving more through itemized deductions than taking the standard deduction. Doing so might even put you into a lower 2010 tax bracket so that some of your income isn’t taxed at the higher rate.

If you did any of the following during 2010, it could have a big impact on your return:

  • Made home energy efficiency improvements? You could qualify for a 2010 energy tax credit.
  • Had a child this year or was guardian for at least half a year? You could claim a child tax credit.
  • Bought your first home before April 30th? You are eligible for a first-time homebuyer tax credit. Don’t forget it!
  • Had self-employment income? You can deduct business related expenses.
  • Have huge out-of-pocket expenses for medical purposes? Deductible, at a certain level.
  • Paid tuition? Deductible.
  • Paid interest on a mortgage or property tax? They’re deductible.
  • Made a Roth IRA Conversion? You can spread out your income tax liability over the 2011 and 2012 tax calendar years.

E-File that Tax Return!

Efiling is the way to go. It allows you to get your return faster and the error rate is much lower than on paper returns. I’ve written about the best and cheapest ways to efile in the past. I’ve used both Turbotax and H&R Block to efile in the past, and they are equally great products. Both offer a free 1040-EZ federal e-file version. Filing state returns electronically will cost you anywhere you go, as will more complicated returns.

I Got a Huge Tax Return, Great! Not so Great…

It always cracks me up when people brag about how big of a tax return they are getting. Getting a tax return simply means that you gave the federal government an interest-free loan over the previous year. My goal, when I do my taxes, is to pay back a small amount, so as to avoid getting a penalty.

If you keep getting huge returns, you may need to make some changes to your withholding tax allowances (you do this through your payroll department at work). Sorry to rain on the parade.

Checking your Tax Refund Status

If, after submitting your return and finding out you’re going to be getting a refund, you’d like to check on your tax refund status, do it on this IRS site. Keep in mind that the IRS never will send you an email with this option. To be safe from scammers, type into your browser address and go to their site. Then click ‘where’s my refund’.

Remember to Have Fun

I always enjoy sitting down in a dark room in early March with a bottle of Jack and doing my taxes. And you should too! Taxes aren’t so bad, especially if you did things the right way all year long. Have fun! And, yeah, you probably shouldn’t get drunk when doing your taxes.
What tax filing tips do you have?

About the Author
I am G.E. Miller, & this is my story. My goal is financial independence ASAP. If you share that goal, join me & 7,500+ others by getting FREE email updates. You can also explore every post I have written, in order.

  • Wizard Prang says:

    90% of getting your taxes done is getting your stuff together beforehand. In our house, all receipts and paperwork that has tax implications goes into a “Tax Drawer”.

    Last Saturday morning, I dumped the contents of the Tax Drawer on the bed and got on with it. Two hours later, with the exception of one piece of paper we are still waiting on, we are done.

  • Jack says:

    I realized a week ago that we either had everything we needed already or it was available online, so I filed this past weekend and we’ll be getting a BIG FAT REFUND SOON! 😉

    I understand your position on the tax refund, and it’s something I think about from time to time. For me it comes down to two points:

    1) I understand the interest free loan argument, but philosophically I am not opposed to allowing the government to use my money during the year as long as I get it back, especially when the economic situation is bleak. This line of thought applies more to state government even though I get a smaller refund from them. And in the current interest rate environment, I can’t make much more than 0% in savings anyway.

    2) Realistically, I would not have the discipline to save this money during the year as it comes in. My wife and I choose where to budget our tax refund into yearly categories like travel, vet bills, etc. Last year I used the refund to finally pay off all of my credit card debt, and this year we have an emergency bathroom repair that is going to be paid for out of our refund. If the situation had come up during the summer, I’d have had to put the costs on the credit cards again and might still be paying them down.

    Of course, things change, and at some point in the future I may change my mind on how to handle taxes and refunds, but I don’t think that my position is wrong for where I am now.

  • The Debt Free Baby says:

    I just did a blog about taxes then found yours and linked to it. I also talked about how getting money back is not really a good plan. Check it out on my site if your interested.

  • Christopher says:


    I need to borrow some money. Interest free of course. I will pay it back in one year dollar for dollar. Promise.

  • Gally says:

    G.E. what did you mean about “You should have received your first-time homebuyer tax credit already.”? This worries me because i closed before April 30th, but i still bought it 2010. I’m i can still get my tax credit when i file end of Feb correct?

  • Ron Ablang says:

    I had a baby that was born on 7/23/2010. So I can’t claim the child income tax credit for 2010, but can I do it for 2011 tax year?

  • The Debt Free Baby says:

    Yes you can claim a child even if it was born 12/31 of that year, just make sure you have their social security number handy when you do your taxes.


Enter your:

Home | Sitemap | Terms | ©