Sign Up for your Trans Union Class Action Settlement Benefits – Free Credit Report, Credit Score, & Cash
Trans Union Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Details
Sounds too good to be true. And if it wasn’t for corporate greed, it would be. But you are most likely eligible for all three for free! In a landmark class action lawsuit, ‘re Trans Union Privacy Litigation Case No. 00-CV-4729, MDL Docket No. 1350, U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Illinois, Eastern Division, Judge Robert W. Gettleman‘, Trans Union has pre-settled to offer free premium credit-reporting services to everyone who had an open credit account or line of credit from January 1, 1987 to May 28, 2008.
In the Trans Union suit, it’s been claimed that the company violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act by selling credit user’s personal and financial information to marketing companies. It’s no wonder we’ve all received so much junk mail over the last 20 years.
What you can already get for free
As, I’ve discussed in a previous post, you are already eligible to receive 3 free credit reports per year, one from each of the major credit reporting agencies – Trans Union, Equifax, and Experian – at annualcreditreport.com. Annualcreditreport.com is a government mandated program, whereas fakes such as freecreditreport.com (and their catchy jingles) are privately run. Don’t trust the fakes, because, much like Trans Union had, you never know what they are doing with your private information and social security card number.
What you can’t get for free (or wouldn’t want to)
Until now, I haven’t found of a way to monitor your credit score for free. As part of the settlement, Trans Union’s settlement, they are offering one of five options for those who meet the previously mentioned wide sweeping criteria. Options 2-4 include daily free access to your Trans Union credit report and Trans Union credit score:
- File an individual lawsuit against Defendant(s) for claims related to target marketing and pre-screening: You can also sign up for six months of credit monitoring.
- Sign up for six months of credit monitoring services: You can also register to receive a possible cash payment in the event of a cash distribution or file an individual lawsuit against the Defendants.
- Sign up for nine months of enhanced credit monitoring services: You will not receive any further benefits, including a cash payment, and you will not be able to file an individual lawsuit against the Defendants.
- Register to receive a possible cash payment: You can also sign up for six months of credit monitoring; however if you receive a cash payment, you cannot file an individual lawsuit against the Defendants.
- Do Nothing: You won’t get any benefits. You will keep your right to sue the Defendants individually (see the detailed notice and Settlement Agreement for more information).
You can sign up for one of these options and read more about the lawsuit at listclassaction.com from now until September 24. You could receive your benefits shortly after that date.
Here are my thoughts on each of Trans Union’s Settlement Options:
- You probably won’t be winning any individual lawsuits, but if you’re daring you can still pick up the six months of credit monitoring (which you might need when you fall in debt to pay your litigation fees).
- I personally signed up for this option, which retails for $59.75. If not many people find out about these services, there may be a possible cash disbursement.
- A great option for those looking to purchase a home in the near future. This plan retails for $115.50 and includes a mortgage simulator that shows how lenders would would rate you. No cash payout possibility with this option though.
- Sounds like option #2 re-worded, or am I missing something?
- Again, good luck with a lawsuit, but if you’re interested find a good consumer lawyer right away.
Whatever you choose, there’s no reason not to sign up for your free Trans Union class action lawsuit benefits.