Are you Ready for the Analog to Digital TV Conversion Switch?
Moving From Analog to Digital
You may be wondering “What is this analog to digital TV switch and what do I need to do to get ready?”.
Will I Need to Get a Digital TV Converter?
This question is better answered by first listing those who DO NOT need to get a digital TV Converter:
- Those with cable TV service that converts to digital (via set-top box or other method).
- Those with satellite TV service.
- Those with a TV that has a built-in digital tuner and one of the above methods for receiving a digital signal.
Who does that leave behind? Essentially those without any of the above – meaning older analog TV users who use rabbit ears and don’t have cable or satellite service. One misconception is that you need to have an HDTV in order to get digital signals. This is simply not true. You need only have an SD (standard definition) model with a digital tuner.
I Need a Digital TV Conversion Box, now what?
The federal government was offering $40 coupon vouchers to help offset the cost of the $50 conversion boxes. However, this underfunded program ran out of money in early January of 2009.
Where Can I get a Digital Conversion Box?
The federal site has a list of online and big box retailers who are selling conversion boxes: Digital TV Converter Box Retailers. Make sure you get a legit one with the right specifications as pointed out in the above link.
Analog to Digital Discussion:
- Have you already started using a digital converter? How is it?
- If you missed out on the coupon are you going to hope the waiting list works out, or just buy a conversion box without a coupon?
- Are you using this switch as an opportunity to wean off of cable or satellite?