American Express Purchase Protection Plan – a Rare Credit Card Benefit
I have a number of American Express credit cards and perhaps one of the biggest perks they bring is something that I just recently discovered: the American Express Purchase Protection plan. The plan, (rather unbelievably) has the following benefits:
1. Embedded Protection – You can use your Card and Purchase Protection protects eligible purchases against accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
2. Worldwide Coverage – Coverage includes eligible purchases made worldwide with the Card, including gifts purchased for others. I would imagine this would cover gift packages that didn’t make it to those you sent to (but don’t quote me on that).
3. Shop Worry Free – Purchase Protection repairs, replaces or reimburses you for up to the amount charged to the Card (not to exceed the original purchase price). Coverage is limited to up to $1,000 per Occurrence, up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year, and is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.
We’ve all tried returning something that we damaged or after a retailer’s 30 day return policy expired and been turned away feeling dejected. On my way to work the other day, I was listening to a local radio station and a caller was talking about a time that she was arrested because Kohl’s wouldn’t take back her shoe, which suffered a broken heel – and she came back in swapped it for a new one (on her own). Funny – and tragically sad all at the same time, haha.
I just think that it’s refreshing and gives a little peace of mind that American Express is willing to pay up to $1,000 for something that gets stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. That’s an awesome benefit to have.
I have to admit that I’m really impressed with the benefits that American Express offers. They continually offer perks that set them apart from their credit card competitors. And every time I’ve called them they’ve always been pleasant and helpful on the phone. The credit card industry gets a bad rap, and for good reason a lot of time. But I have no shame in promoting a company that is ethical and helpful towards its customers.
Credit Card Benefits Discussion:
- What is the best perk your credit card provides?
- What is the most unusual perk your card offers?